When you work with my firm, you can be confident that your case is in good hands. I have been serving the Bronx area since 1989 and I am proud to have an in-depth and up-to-date understanding of the various New York and federal laws governing family law matters and divorce. If you are considering filing a petition for a family law concern, do not hesitate to retain me as your New York child abuse lawyer.
Child Abuse Attorney in New York
Protecting Your Child From Abuse and Neglect in NY
As a parent, your child's well-being and future mean everything to you, which is why any signs of abuse or neglect can be cause for alarm. The moment you discover any indications of emotional, physical, sexual or verbal abuse, you need to immediately contact the Bronx child abuse lawyer at The Law Office of Ava G. Gutfriend.
At my firm, I understand that this time in your life may be stressful and scary. You deserve aggressive, understanding and competent representation. I have been assisting families with legal matters since 1989, and you can rely on me to help get the job done and protect your child's rights.
On This Page:
- How I Can Help
- What Is the Difference Between Child Abuse and Child Neglect?
- Examples of Child Neglect
- Examples of Child Abuse
- How Do You Report Child Abuse or Neglect?
- Get Help Today!
How New York Child Abuse Attorney Ava G. Gutfriend Can Help
When you work with the New York child neglect lawyer from my firm, I will immediately begin to investigate your situation and develop a personalized strategy that will help eliminate the cause of harm and provide you with the best possible outcome for your case.
First and foremost, you need to contact authorities about the abuse. The New York child abuse lawyer from my firm can help you obtain an order of protection and serve the order to the abuser. If you are in the midst of a divorce or civil case, I can help you obtain child custody and ensure that the individual named in the order of protection avoids contact with you and your family and continues to pay child support throughout the course of your legal proceedings.
Working with my New York child neglect attorney from my firm can provide you with peace of mind that all matters are being handled efficiently, effectively and thoroughly with the utmost care and ethical treatment.
What Is the Difference Between Child Abuse and Child Neglect?
Most states have similar definitions of what constitutes child abuse or neglect. Child neglect is when a parent or guardian responsible for caring for a child withholds or fails to provide necessities such as food, clothing, shelter, medical care, and proper supervision, that results in or could result in harm to the child. Child abuse can include physical abuse, sexual abuse, and emotional abuse. Physical abuse includes any intentional physical harm to a child. Sexual abuse can include sexual assault as well as exploitation of a child. Emotional abuse can include mistreatment of a child that results in anxiety, depression, aggression or other such behavior.
Examples of Child Neglect
Some examples of child neglect include:
- Failing to provide the child with an education by enrolling them in school or schooling them at home
- Leaving a child home alone when they are not old enough to care for themselves
- Failing to provide food, shelter, clothing, etc. for the child
- Failing to take a child to the doctor when they are sick or in need of medical care
- Using drugs in a manner that prevents the individual from providing proper care for the child
Examples of Child Abuse
Some common examples of child abuse include:
- Physically beating, hitting, kicking, or burning the child
- Creating a situation in which someone else is able to cause physical harm to the child
- Sexually abusing or allowing others to sexually abuse the child
- Exploiting a child sexually by exposing them to sexual acts or in the production of pornography
- Creating, manufacturing or selling drugs in the child’s presence
- Giving drugs to a child
- Threatening, humiliating or terrorizing a child
How Do You Report Child Abuse or Neglect?
If you believe that a child is in immediate danger you should always call 911 first.
If you need to report child abuse or neglect in New York, you can call the following hotlines:
- For Mandatory Reporters: 1(800) 635-1522
- For the General Public: 1(800) 342-3720
When you make the call you will be asked to provide the following information:
- The name and address of the child and family members
- The child’s age, language, and sex
- The type of injuries that they have sustained
- The type of abuse or neglect the child has experienced as well as any additional knowledge you may have about a history of abuse or neglect to them or their siblings
- Any other information you may have that could be helpful
Obtain Legal Assistance From Our Child Abuse Lawyer in the Bronx
Your child's well-being, health and future may be on the line - do not hesitate to retain my services! I will take every possible action to provide you and your family with an amicable resolution and ensure that justice is served to the abuser of your child. You do not need to face the New York justice system or family courts alone and you never have to when you work with The Law Office of Ava G. Gutfriend.
Learn more about your parental rights, the rights of your child and the options you have for legal action. Contact us right away! Our New York child abuse attorney in the Bronx can provide you with the assistance you need.